Saturday, August 31, 2019

Standing on the Prime Meridian - East vs West!


Three years ago, I got to stand on the Equator, shown here. It was a great experience, so since we were in London, I wanted to stand on the Prime Meridian.


Barbara and I hopped on a boat and rode down to Greenwich. Along the way we went under a lot of bridges.


We got to see the Big Ben tower with all the scaffolding again.


And we went under the new London Bridge, not nearly as beautiful as the one they sold to us that is now in Lake Havasu, AZ.


After a fairly short trip, we arrived at Greenwich Pier.


And trudged up the hill to the Royal Observatory.


Ta-da! This line is marking the Prime Meridian. Is it at the right place? I'm not telling.


But here's proof that I did make it there.


The Observatory had some nice exhibits, including this unique old telescope.


I really liked the Dolphin Sundial outside. Unfortunately, it wasn't sunny, but when it is, the time is where the shadow of the two tails meet.


From the top of the hill, we got a great view of Greenwich.


On the way back to the boat, we went through the Greenwich Market.


And the clipper ship, the Cutty Sark, built in 1869. She held the record time from Australia to Great Britain for 10 years!


I really liked the ship's figurehead.


Down by the Greenwich Pier is a pedestrian tunnel that goes under the River Thames. Of course we had to walk it.


On the ride back to London, we went by some old military ships -


And Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, that we went to many days ago.

So will I ever be done posting about London? Soon! Only one more post, and it's a goodie!

1 comment:

  1. I was amazed at all the old clocks on display in the Royal Observatory. Some of them were huge! Imagine one of them on your fireplace mantel. ;c)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!