Friday, April 8, 2011

Heartbreak Hotel


Last Wednesday, we once again went to Superstition Skies in Apache Junction to enjoy Brant and Kerry. One of the songs they regularly play is "Heartbreak Hotel." (Be sure to notice Kerry's upside-down guitar playing.)

This song always brings tears to my eyes, when I remember a certain story I'm about to share.


"Heartbreak Hotel" was co-written by an amazing woman named Mae Axton in 1955. She wrote 200 songs in her lifetime, but "Heartbreak Hotel," written in 20 minutes, was the most famous. It became Elvis' very first #1 hit in early 1956.

Skip forward to 1997. A very special pre-med student wanted to enter the MD-PhD program at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. Although she had been accepted, all the funded spots were filled.


Ralph, a long-time friend of my father's (shown here on the right at my father's 90th birthday party), had been a sound engineer for many country stars and knew lots of people in Nashville.


He contacted Mae Axton and asked if she would be willing to fund another MD-PhD student.

She said "Sure, I've never done anything like that before!" Can you believe that? Donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to benefit someone she had never met!

Now - here's the bad news - the next day, she passed away suddenly of an apparent heart attack. So sad - she really was an amazing woman.

But here's the good news - someone dropped out of the program and our very special pre-med student ended up with funding anyway!


So who was this very special pre-med student? (Shown here at a much younger age...)


My daughter, (Doctor) Corrie.

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a great personal recollection and story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is a special story! I am so amazed at how small our world is. Leaves me speechless; so I'll stop..Thanks for sharing.
    UPRIVERDAVIDbertlo

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a neat story. It's amazing how things happen like this.

    Paul
    www.wheresweaver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a great story. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan
    Bubbadan

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great family story; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Diana... a wonderful and entertaining post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing story!!! AND how proud you must be to have a DR in the house--and she is Beautiful to boot!!
    Enjoyed the Vid--I def need to get out more socially cant recall the last time I went clubbing---since my BF moved to AZ I got no side kick--;o( and Im too onnery to make new friends--

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story, it's very touching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That put tears in my eyes. What a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing part of your family's history.

    Sorry not be there Wednesday night with you guys. We really miss that highlight in our week but it'll still be another couple weeks before we get back there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou, thank you for sharing. How wonderful that Corrie was able to benefit from this opportunity...and the whole family as well!!!( AND all her patients!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great story with a happy ending for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely story, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story!!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what a wonderful story, and how sad that Mae did pass the next day. Thank you for sharing and congrats to your daughter how wonderful to have a doctor in the family :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great story. So sad Mae passed the next day, but obviously your lovely daughter was meant to be a doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice story..thanks for sharing. Your daughter is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful story and so nice to see a happy ending.

    Your daughter has the most beautiful smile, wonder where she got it from? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful story. So glad the story was a happy ending for your daughter. I guess when you hear this song it will always remind you of Mae Axton and what she was willing to do.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful story of coincidences. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a nice story. No wonder you like that band so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great story. Looks like you are having lots of fun. I just flushed the antifreeze out of my motor home last weekend then the weather got nasty once more. I hope to get the thing out soon.

    Someday we'll cross paths. Becky and I will buy you lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed that story. And I am a fan of her son, Hoyt Axton's music.

    I am new here, catching up and enjoying it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a heart warming story with a great ending, thank you for sharing!

    I'm new to you blog so bear with my late comments.

    Your blog is inspiring me to try what you are doing one day. I'm headed to the Super RV show in Tampa in a couple of weeks to get my first major peek at what's available.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!