Tuesday, June 26, 2018

I Need Another Helicopter Ride!


After all, it's been 3 weeks since I went on the one in the Black Hills of South Dakota. So when the WINs moved to a campsite near Glacier National Park, I signed Gwen and I up. I had done this ride 12 years ago and always wanted to do it again. We're ready to go with our pilot.


Some of our first views were of the Middle Fork of the Flathead River. We saw several rafters.


Way out there is Mount St. Nicholas, one of their "Matterhorns."


We saw lots of lakes, but the first one was Harrison Lake.


On top of Loneman Mountain is one of the many lookout towers in the park.


I let Gwen sit in the front seat, because she had a better camera. So a few of these pictures, and the 2 videos, are hers.


We went over Logan Pass, at the top of the Going to the Sun Road. The road wasn't open yet, because of snow, but it did open 3 days later.


Then we got to the Many Glacier part of the park, my favorite. Grinnell Lake is in the foreground, a beautiful glacial lake. To read about my hike there back in 2013, that post is here.


We got a better view of the Many Glacier Hotel.


And then! - a view of Iceberg Lake. I had a very exciting hike to the lake way back in 2006 (when I was much younger...). That post is here.


Then we went over a ridge, with Elizabeth Lake in the background.



One of Gwen's amazing videos.


More beautiful ridges!


And yet another. See that notch on the right?



Well, we went right through it!


Wow!


Mokowanis Lake, Glenns Lake, and Cosley Lake in the background.


And finally, Waterton Lake, half in the US and half in Canada.


We went over the line into Canada. Who make that line??? I got a text message from Verizon saying "Welcome to Canada!"


Cameron Lake, mostly in Canada.


We saw at least 15 glaciers, but this is my favorite - Weasel Collar Glacier.


One last spectacular view - Lake Ellen Wilson, Lincoln Lake, and Beaver Chief Falls.


Coming in for a landing! I highly recommend this tour - take the one hour (like we did) instead of the half hour. It's double the price, but 10 times better!

1 comment:

I love comments!