Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Billings and Lewistown

I was late leaving Rapid City, so I decided to go to Billings instead of Teddy Roosevelt NP with the rest of the group. I only had a couple of days, but did see a few things. I went to Pictograph Cave State Park.


As soon as I was in the Visitor Center, I realized I had been there before and been disappointed. This is what the cave is supposed to look like...


And this is what it really looks like! You can just see a little bit of the red paint.


I also visited the Western Heritage Center. It was nice, but seemed more oriented towards kids. This was my favorite piece.


Near Billings is Pompey's Pillar, named by Clark in honor of Sacajawea's son.


On the rock there is the only physical evidence remaining of Lewis & Clark's journey.


I then joined up with the group in Lewistown. Of course we had to visit the Yogo Inn and have our picture taken at the Geographical Center of the state of Montana.


That weekend the Pioneer Power Days were taking place at the airport, right near where we were parked. We saw lots of old equipment that still ran!


But of course, I liked the really old rusty stuff better!


There was a "race," where the slowest tractor won. If you stalled out, you were eliminated.


We also visited the Central Montana Museum, which was very good, but didn't have much about Lewis and Clark.


I really liked this old handmade violin made out of 2 cigar boxes!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have told you to go to the Yellowstone County Museum up by the airport in Billings. It has the Wind Dancer exhibit and was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!