Sunday, October 21, 2018

Looking for the Lone Pine in Lone Pine


And we never did find it! But Tuttle Creek campground just outside of Lone Pine is a beautiful spot with amazing views.


We went on a drive around the Alabama Hills nearby. Mount Whitney, shown here in the middle, is the highest peak in the lower 48, and visible from most of the area.


We were on a mission to find some of the many arches here. The first one we found was not very big...


But Mobius Arch is the the nicest one, and great for cheesy photos. Mount Whitney is just over Don's head.


We found another big one, but were too lazy to hike over to it.


So I just zoomed in...


The Alabama Hills are famous for being the site of many movies, primarily Westerns.


We went to the Lone Pine Museum of Western Film History, where we saw some of the vehicles used in the shoots.


I got to hug John Wayne!


And then I saw a picture of him when he was much younger, and was totally smitten...


I liked these chairs in town. If I ever get a house, I want one!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying your time there.
    Kathy is also a big John Wayne fan.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!