Friday, November 27, 2015

The Sights of Richmond


Although I lived in Virginia for 27 years before going on the road, I had never been to the Capitol in Richmond. It was time to correct that oversight.

The original central part of the capitol was built in 1785, based on a design by Thomas Jefferson. The east and west wings were added in 1905.


The rotunda features a statue of George Washington, along with busts of the 7 other Virginia-born presidents.


The black limestone tiles in the floor are inlaid with marine animal fossils, just as the ones that we saw in the Montpelier, VT capitol are.


We had a guide for the tour, but she was much too talkative, so I wandered around on my own, up to the third floor where I got a close-up view of the dome.


We got to see both the old and new Senate and House chambers. This is the Old House Chamber.


And the modern-day House Chamber.


Next to the Capitol is St. Paul's Church, the house of worship for General Robert E. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis. It featured some beautiful stained-glass windows.


We also visited the Tredegar Iron Works. Tredegar began in 1836 as a small forge and rolling mill, but by 1860 was a large operation, with 800 laborers.


During the Civil War, Tredegar operated day and night to meet the Confederate demands for artillery and ammunition, producing 1,100 cannons.


The Iron Works also played an important role in rebuilding the devastated South after the war.


We also walked along the James River in town....


And along the Canal, which parallels the river. It was fun to see all the things that I missed when I lived in the state.

7 comments:

  1. I think Virginia's capitol building is one of the prettiest. I loved standing where Lee stood when he took over the Confederate forces. So much history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you lived in Virginia. So did I for nearly all my life and I habe never been to the Capitol either. Just don't tell me you lived near Charlottesville. Nights in the 30'same now. Too cold for me. Where are you camped ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good look at the Capitol it reminds me of the one in our capital Columbia, the old style House and Senate chambers is the same as ours and its still in use. Great job framing through the brick arch..Love that!! IF you get close to me better give me a shout out! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With a name like Tredegar I wonder if the iron works were originally founded by a Welsh emigrant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tour for you! THX for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm the same as you, lived in VA for 14 years and never visited the capitol. Drove by dozens of times, but always put it off. Sort of like New Yorkers that never visit the Statue of Liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following your blog and love the photos....great shots and beautiful exposure....your capture the light perfect....thanks for sharing

    bob

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!