Friday, October 18, 2013

The Arches of the Alabama Hills


The Alabama Hills, outside the town of Lone Pine, CA, are home not just to large piles of rocks, but also to some really cool arches. Mobius Arch is a short walk from the parking area, and you can get a nice shot of Mt Whitney through it.


It's a great spot for photos, and I took a shot of Barbara and Ron that you can see here.


Phil got a different shot.


There's also another small arch nearby.


My shot through it the other direction.


Not so easy to get to is Lone Pine Arch. It's not a long hike, but there is no trail, so it requires some scrambling to get up to it.


It's very thin, and that's why it was formed.


You can get a shot through it -


But to get a picture of the mountains through it you'd have to be about 20 feet tall.


Believe it or not, last time Barbara and I were here, someone had left a ladder here!

16 comments:

  1. Nice photos of all your posts in and around Lone Pine. Makes me want to visit there again sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we LOVE the Alabama Hills! Hubby can name almost every movie that was filmed there. Have you been to the Lone Pine movie museum? It's a fun trip. Thank you for sharing your photos...now I'm going through withdrawal!
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these arches and now a must visit locale when I go west next year

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have really enjoyed our first time in the Alabama Hills. We just love all the rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you've been getting a lot of use out of that ladder since the last visit? ;c)

    Very interesting place, nature certainly can come up with all kinds of wonders and picture frames...great shot of Barbara and Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool photos, must have been fun to see all the different arches. Funny about the ladder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my very favorite boondocking places. Love the arch photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been a place I've wanted to visit since the first time I read about it in somebody's blog. Love the shots through the arches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arches are so cool...wonderful views thru the eyes of arches. Looks like y'all had great fun scrambling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like an interesting place. I like rocks, so I would probably enjoy the area. Thanks for the pix. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great rock formations. Just heard on the radio about some scoutmaster who destroyed an ancient rock formation near Moab by pushing it over. Some people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job with all the arches. I really do love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Never heard of this place, I'll have to check it out. I just stumbled upon your blog, and am so inspired by your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We went there yesterday, but didn't find the arches. I'm wondering if we didn't go on the road far enough. We traveled on the dirt road about 2-3 miles and turned around. Can you help us out?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can't see them from the road - go to the visitor's center and they will give you a map. Sorry I didn't see your comment sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this place…heading here again the end of April for a NightScapeEvent.com workshop.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!