Wednesday, July 16, 2008

O Canada!

More drive-by shooting, this time of me entering Canada. I have to admit it makes me a little nervous to be in a foreign country, even Canada. We're staying for 5 days at the Sault Ste. Marie Moose Lodge on the Canadian side.


But WOW, the gas is really reasonable! I would have come here sooner had I known. WHAT?? This is the price for a liter, not a gallon!


The weather has been cold and rainy, as this sign in a restaurant attests to.


The WINs went on a tour of the Canadian locks.


They used to be quite busy, but now are used for tour boats and recreational boats only.


There's a 21-foot drop from Lake Superior to Lake Heron.


I had a nice chat with the Harbor Master.


An aerial shot of the Canadian locks, on the near side, and the US locks, on the far side.


The next day, I headed back to the US to see their locks. This is where the big freighters go through. The Edwin H. Gott is over 1000 feet long! This is actually 3 pictures put together. The curve is just a result of the software.


Safely out of the lock and on its way up Lake Superior.


This is the John J. Boland, a scant 680 feet long, demonstrating the 21-foot rise. Here's the before picture...


And after.

3 comments:

  1. One gas station I stopped at in Yellowstone was selling gas per half gallon because their punps didn't go above $3.99/gallon. so, whatever the punp ended up saying, the sales clerk inside doubled it. Darn him!!

    Have fun in Canada, A!!!! I love watching locks in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the travel log coming. Can you use your air card there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one heck of a big ship! Cool stitch job.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!