Saturday, March 28, 2020

Waterfalls and Ukuleles


One day while we were on the Big Island, Rosemary and Karen went on a tour to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Since I had been there before, and the volcano wasn't erupting now, I didn't go with them. So I had the car all to myself, and went on a drive over the middle of the island (on the new road) to Hilo.

My first stop was Rainbow Falls. Just gorgeous!


I went to some ukulele shops in Hilo, then drove our to Akaka Falls. Wow!


Kahuna Falls is next to Akaka Falls, and hard to see, but I thought it was really cool that a flower was growing in the right spot to get the perfect picture!


Walking back to the car, the bamboo was really colorful.


I've always wanted to go to a ukulele festival, and one was happening here! Rosemary and Karen were very nice to go with me to Waikoloa Beach, north of Kona, for the Waikola Ukulele Festival. First up was a workshop put on by Roy Sakuma. I didn't have my ukulele with me, but I did some air-strumming.



After the workshop, various artists performed at different nearby locations. This is my favorite, Kris Fuchigami, playing Elvis' "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You."



Another short video showing how intricate his playing is.


I've been going to many ukulele shops, and found one I really like! More on that later...


When we were done at the Ukulele Festival, we walked over to the nearby Waikoloa Petroglyph Reserve.


Very cool!

2 comments:

  1. Your time is being well spent on the Big Island.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They must have had a lot of rain. Rainbow Falls is really flowing! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!