Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Poking Around Green River


I stopped for a couple of nights in Green River State Park in Utah. There's not much in the state park, other than a 9-hole golf course, but I used the stop to see some things in the area.


I drove north along the Green River and saw some beautiful scenery.


There was a even primitive campground up there. How's this for a view?


I also drove up Sego Canyon to see the prehistoric pictographs and petroglyphs. I don't know how real they are. It looks like a lot of them have been redone, and there were lots of old signatures and dates too.


The pictographs were on a high wall, so are probably more real.


A close up.


Nearby, there were more on some private land, but there again, I don't know how real they are. Probably the lighter colored ones are true prehistoric petroglyphs.


I also drove up Black Dragon Canyon to try to find the dragon.


Turns out the dragon is really red, not black. It also looks more like a pterodactyl, but since they were around 150 million years ago, I don't know how men got this image 1000 years ago.

Next - on to Moab, one of my favorite places.

8 comments:

  1. I'll have to add this to our bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We stayed there for a couple of nights but you got better pictures then we did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes you wonder how those ancient artists were able to do their work up so high. Maybe they flew there on the dragon? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen the "dragon" pictograph before, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh will have to seek out this dragon next time Im in that area, it kinda resembles a sandhill crane to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is on our list. Great pictures and tour:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!