Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just How Many Cameras Do I Have???

Well, I'm not telling, but these are the 4 that I use most often.


The smallest is the Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS. "HS" stands for high-sensitivity, and improves photos taken in low light. It is a wide-angle camera and has a 5X optical zoom, with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 24-120. Since it's so small, I usually have it in my pocket for when I happen upon "blog fodder."


A little bit bigger, thicker, and heavier is the Canon PowerShot SD 4500 IS. It will still fit in my pocket, but has a 10X optical zoom, a 35mm equivalent focal length of 35-350.


The lens is a lot bigger than most of the other point-and-shoot cameras, and I think it takes some really sharp pictures, even when zoomed to 10X. This photo was taken from the top of Magic Mountain in Moorea, zooming in in the oldest church in French Polynesia.


I bought an underwater camera for the trip to the South Pacific, the Canon PowerShot D10, with a 3X optical zoom. It's also good for kayaking or rainy weather.


I got some great snorkeling shots.


My only complaint is that the color of the camera looks too much like a fish, and I almost lost it to this guy in the Cook Islands. Fortunately I had it tied to my wrist.


As you can probably tell, I am VERY partial to the Canon point-and-shoot cameras. I think they are the very best around. But on the SLRs, I go for the Nikons. This is my newest addition, a Nikon D3100. It's an entry-level SLR, but just fine for me. It's lighter weight than the better SLRs, and I am more likely to take it along. So far I only have one lens for it, but I'm working on getting an all-purpose wide-angle/telephoto lens.


In addition to the better quality photos the SLR takes, you can also put filters on it, like the polarizer I almost always use, to make the sky look better and reduce reflections.

16 comments:

  1. awesome collection!! I still have film cameras too, but havent turned one on in a longggg time. Had 3 Digitals but recently gave my sister one of them so Im down to 2. Looks like all of your camera's take great Photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? FOUR cameras?

    We have one camera. An eight year old Olympus. I think it was $900 when I bought it!

    It's a 3.1 megapixel! I love it, but it's getting tired.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I'm always on the lookout for "blog fodder".

    I don't want to step in it... ;c)

    Too often we go out camera-less, fortunately Marti has an I-phone with a pretty good camera and shen never leaves home without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! No "game"(motion sensitive) cameras? Bushnell, Cuddeback, Moultrie, Reconnyx.... I too am partial to Canon, but these are great for when you're not around ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 3 cameras if you include the droid. I bought a Kodak underwater p&s for the Colorado River trip and with 12x it's pretty good and small. Two years ago when I lost my Canon P&S to the Indian Ocean I replaced it with what I could afford in South Africa, a Fujifilm Finepix S1500 with 12x. Now I've been looking at the Nikon SLRs. I want to be able to change lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like a camera piker here, but currently only use two, a canon IS point and shoot that we carry most of the time and a Canon Rebel T2i with two lenses. Happy with both:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're lucky we have the one camera and have figured out how to use it. I really wouldn't know what to do with more than one. But your pictures sure do turn out great. Going to be at Skies tomorrow night? We're going to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm "so" looking forward to getting back into my photography hobby when I retire. At the moment, school sucks the life out of me and my time. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK - that makes me feel better about the number of cameras we have between the two of us. When I replaced the Canon G10, I sold the underwater camera casing back to B&H since it didn't fit the G12. I've heard good things about the D10 you have, so maybe another camera will be added to our collection :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see no problems in having multiple ones - we have 3 ourselves. Nikon D7000 & D40, plus a small Fujifilm Finepix T 10x zoom 14 mega pixels. I'm actually still trying to learn all the fancy options on the Nikons. Keep shooting and sharing, as I truly enjoy your pictures. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diana, I just laughed when I saw the heading. You are a camera girl! You like your cameras and I'm glad you enjoy them so much. We, on this end, sure benefit from them and your award-winning skills.
    I call the third one your "fish bait camera". How's your hand these days anyway?
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pocket cameras are getting better every year. You take great pictures with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite a collection Diane...leaving on Tuesday the 28th!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love my new Nikon Coolpix S9100 with the 18x zoom lens. That's all I use, I'm not at all trained in photography, and it's easy to use. I still have my old Kodak DX3600. It's a point and shoot, too, but I wanted more zoom.

    You have a good collection, and take really good, clear photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Diana, I know you put this blog out a while ago, but I wanted to ask you about cameras. I am looking for a megazoom compact (at least 10x zoom, preferably more), but I'm having a hard time finding one with the options that I want. Such as: I'd prefer one that has a RAW format, and AA batteries instead of the rechargeable Li-Ion. Do you happen to know of any like that?
    Thanks,
    Brad
    PS, you don't need to post this on the blog, and my email is bradleymac222@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!