Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy Birthday, Arizona!

Tuesday, Feb 14th, is more than just Valentine's Day. It's the 100th anniversary of Arizona's statehood. It's hard to believe it's only been a state for that long.

Since I've spent most of the last 16 months in the state, I thought I'd go through my favorite places, most of which I saw this year, and what makes Arizona so unique. Of course the Grand Canyon is a biggie!


The Organ Pipe cactus is here, the only place in the US where it grows.


And the Saguaro cactus in the US grows only in Arizona and a tiny part of California. I got to see them bloom this year.


Monument Valley is mostly in Arizona. Some of the other places I visited in the past year are -


Sedona -


Wupatki and some other ancient dwellings -


The Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert -


Canyon de Chelley -


And Antelope Canyon near Page.


I have been to the Wave 4 times over the last 14 years and hope to go again this year. It's located in Arizona, but you start hiking in Utah.


If you want more, I found Rex Allen Jr's beautiful song, "I Love You, Arizona" here, complete with some gorgeous photos, including Havasu Falls, which is still on my bucket list. The song is guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes.

Happy Birthday, Arizona!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! What incredible photos! Incredible state! Incredible blog. Happy birthday Arizona. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Arizona! Thanks for posting these beautiful photos of one this East Coaster's favortite states to visit! One hundred years -- that's a young state! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been to some really great places, I love to see the photos of your travels.

    I was never that curious about Arizona until I saw your photos, then traveled through it myself, and saw the diversity and beauty of the state.

    Happy Birthday, Beautiful Arizona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ... got to get to the Wave ... and Monument Valley ... and Antelope Canyon ... and the Petrified Forest ... it will be great to see familiar places and punctuate our visit with all the new sites we've not been to before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arizona is amazing! Ive visited some of the spots you mentioned and cant wait till my next visit to that Great State!! Happy Birthday AZ!! I just got my copy of Arizona Highways, its the only magazine I suscribe to!! ITS chock full of info and tips on where to go and what to see...Im saving every issue for my future travel.
    YOUR PHOTOS are just beautiful...I love that shot of the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a blog post and pictures. Arizona should be paying you for the fantastic advertisement.

    http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, it sounds like you're putting down roots!

    I have just added the "Wave" to our bucket list.

    A big Valentine for Arizona! We love it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog. Brought back some great memories of some of the places we've seen. (Not those hiking ones though so I'm glad I get to see yours.) Have a great Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post in celebration of Arizona's 100th birthday. All beautiful places. Definitely hike to Havasu Falls, breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful and great shots too, Monument Valley must be awesome. Maybe Arizona Day is a better celebration than Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the great photos of AZ. It is a special place. Enjoy your blog, have learned so much about AZ and many other places. Happy Birthday AZ and a Happy Valentines to you!

    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many years ago after returning from Viet Nam I finished my last year in the service at Ft Huachuca. Having grown up on the east coast, Arizona was a new exciting place for me. A very beautiful state with so much open land. I remember we hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon as part of a military exercise - for a young man it was a breeze then despite it was before MRE's and we had to carry C rations. Diana I too think its a great state. Hope to get out there again soon, thanks for all the stunning photos you continue to post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was beautiful! Great pictures. Gives me places to aspire to getting to..

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!