Monday, September 7, 2015

Lighthouses and Lobsters


We moved onto Rockland, Maine, which is near water, so there are lots of lighthouses. Yippee! Let's go! We started out at Rockland Breakwater Light, waaaaay out in the harbor at the end of an almost-1-mile-long granite breakwater, built over 100 years ago.


You need to watch your step! But we made it!


We got there just as they were opening, and got to climb up to the top of the lighthouse.


The view back along the breakwater.


A photo from the dock, the only place where you can really see the lighthouse.


Everywhere you go near the water in Maine, you see lots of dots all over in the water. What are they?


Buoys marking lobster traps.


The best lighthouse we went to was Marshall Point Lighthouse. Does it look familiar? It's famous for being in my very favorite movie -



Show here in a short clip.


I can do that! Run, Diana, run!


We stopped by the town of St. George, where St. George and the dragon battle it out at the town office.


And then time for another lighthouse, Owls Head Light. By now it was getting a little foggy.


The next day we drove to the top of Mount Battie.


It looked like a nice day when we started out, but when we looked out over the bay at the top, we were above the clouds.


We also stopped a the Maine State Prison Showroom, where all the items in the store are made by people who have way too much time on their hands. Definitely worth the stop, although I didn't buy anything.


Back at the Elks Lodge, we were treated to a private lobster dinner.


The cook at the lodge cooked the lobsters and showed us what not to eat. Yuch! I'm not tempted to eat any of it.


The is more my speed!

6 comments:

  1. Well I LOVE lighthouses so I hope you are going to show me all the ones in Maine that I should visit. Love all your pictures of them. A private lobster dinner. Really? Wow! Here in Shenandoah my connection isn't strong enough for videos but I must know what IS your very favorite movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forrest Gump! This is where he turned around on his run across the country.

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed at how different the lighthouses all look. I've heard tales of that prison store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a month behind on my reading due to travelling and imagine my surprise to hop on your site today and discover we are/were in the same region. We leave Camden today for Woodford, Vermont. Is your blog current or are your posts from an earlier date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm several weeks behind. Sorry I missed you.

      Delete

I love comments!