Sunday, March 1, 2009

WIN Dance Rally

Wait a minute! Am I in the right place?

Actually, I arrived a day early, and there was a sheep/rabbit show and competition going on.

Ever wonder how the sheep's legs are so black? Spray paint! Isn't this cheating?


And then they are carefully vacuumed.


The rabbit show featured 40 different varieties, ranging from 2 1/2 to 18 pounds.


Each variety was carefully judged. This is a real subculture!


Finally, the Dance Rally started. Of course, a lot of it involved eating. We had a pot luck,


And an "Eat Desert First" celebration, in honor of our friend Weezie who passed away last year. There were lots of deserts, but the highlight was this cake.


The decorations were amazing. These walls are normally plain white. Route 66 went all the way around the room, from Chicago to Santa Monica. Lots of Route 66 photos and trivia. I did my part, making large photos of 20 different WINs rigs, and their owners. Of course I did one of me.



Judy gave dance lessons for 4 1/2 days. She insists on using 1-2-3-5 to teach, which drives me crazy. I feel it's okay for those who know something about music, and don't have trouble keeping a beat, but is really hard for those who don't.



At night, there were dances, most run by DJ Jim.



On Saturday night, Dakota Kid performed.


This was supposed to be our last dance rally at the Casa Grande fairgrounds, but unfortunately, we renegotiated and are going back next year. The least they could do is fix the cracks in the concrete, but they haven't yet.


But the local inmates do provide frequent cleanings.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, loved the cake and wall decorations. What a way to kick off a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually they have someone coming in to give an estimate on fixing the cracks! Will wonders never cease?

    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and once again thanks for introducing me to the Canon SX110. You are doing something that I would love to do but its not really possible here, and if I'm honest I wouldn't have the courage to just go on the road. So I love reading blogs like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the picture of the crack in the concrete. My feet are still getting over the constant pounding for 5 days of dancing on those concrete floors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The inmate in the orange clothes sure brought bak memories. We called them "Carrots."

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!