Saturday, July 28, 2018

Ever Wonder How Toilet Paper is Made?


Well, we were determined to find out! So off we went on a tour of the Clearwater Paper Mill in Lewiston, Idaho.


It's hard to believe that toilet paper starts out like this!


Pulp arrives at the paper mill in gigantic trucks like this, with many, many wheels.


And then they dump it out by tipping the whole truck and trailer almost upright!


Somehow, the pulp gets made into a gigantic wet roll that will become toilet paper. Hard to get a picture because it was going so fast.


The paper is then dried. Each one of these giant rolls weighs 5000 lbs!


Then the giant rolls are rolled into long rolls, and then the long rolls are cut, all in a matter of seconds.


They also make paper towels and napkins, again starting from a gigantic roll. It was a great tour! I don't think they regularly offer tours, we just lucked out.


While in Lewiston, we also went to the Nez Perce National Historic Park -


And Idaho's first Territorial Capitol building, back in 1863.


One last look at our parking place at the Lewiston Elks Lodge. We'll really miss this place, and will definitely be back!

10 comments:

  1. I don’t know that I really ever thought about how 🚽 paper is made, but it was interesting to read about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had no idea that making tp was such an extensive process. Probably because I never thought about it. You guys do find great stuff to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they give out free samples (of the small rolls, not the big ones)?
    ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We each got a pack of tissues, not toilet paper.

      Delete
  4. My son just retired after 36 years in the R&R division of Kimberly Clark. I'm sure he knows. :) He got commendations for quite a few patents (they are owned by the company, of course). Just had to brag.

    What did you think of that road in Lewiston or across the river from Lewiston?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the road down the river from Clarkston. Is that the one you mean?

      Delete
  5. I just read from someone that Hwy 12 from Lolo Pass west is under construction and quite a few delays..Did you experience any?
    Upriverdavid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not when I went through, but that was 3 weeks ago.

      Delete
  6. I loved it, too! Great experience. I don’t remember Clarkston but I remember that I was camped in Grainger.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!