Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Uh - Oh.....

On my way up to Flagstaff, and cooler weather, a woman started honking and madly pointing at my trailer tires. Thinking I must have a flat, I pulled off the highway.

I saw no flat, but did see a little smoke, and when I touched the hubs, I burned my fingers on one of them. I knew then that I had burned up a wheel bearing. Fortunately, the entire trailer did not burn up, like fellow bloggers, Ed and Marilyn, had happen recently for the same reason. In that respect, I was really lucky.


A flat bed tow truck was called, with the intention of towing the trailer on the bed. But the driver was unable to pull the trailer up without crushing everything on the underside of the back of the trailer.

So the driver ended up removing the tire, chaining the axles together, and towing the trailer on the ground.

I did a job on the end of the axle, completely burning it up. So I need a new axle, which will take a while.


In the meantime, I'm bunking with Phil, and we are at the Flagstaff Elks. They don't have a lot of space, and I hope they don't get sick of us.


It's in a beautiful location, with hiking right outside our door.


And lots of pretty flowers. Ah....choo!!!


Now - where to go dancing.... The Museum Club, otherwise known as The Zoo, is a historic honky tonk on Route 66. It was built of ponderosa pine logs around live trees. The trees are now dead and covered in lacquer and serve as the corners of the dance floor. (Sorry - no picture - it was too dark inside.)


The booths are definite Route 66 and the tables must be cross sections of ponderosa pine.


Before it was a honky tonk, the building was originally a taxidermist's museum. Some of the animals are still there.


Meanwhile, back at the Elks, I found my own animals. I've always wanted to get a picture of a dragonfly, but they are hard to corner.


I thought its face was amazing - looks like it's wearing a mask.

24 comments:

  1. WOW .... just love your blog and this dragonfly? WOW ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that things turned out okay, and it's great that you have a handy Class A around to hang in while getting the axle replaced.

    At least you're getting to hang out in cooler Flagstaff for a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible pic of the dragonfly! Sorry for the flat, wheel bearing and axle problem, but glad you didn't have to experience a fire. Hope things get fixed soon and you can continue your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really spiffy tow truck. It's good he didn't just muscle the trailer on the flat bed. I've heard of horror stories like that. That's quite a spot you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your problems, but glad you are OK. Love the photo of the dragon fly. They are really hard to catch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Diana, so sorry to hear about your axle. But I am so grateful you didn't lose the trailer and you didn't get hurt. That dragonfly is incredible. I spent a long time the other day trying to get a picture of one and finally gave up. they just won't sit still long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Diana: Enjoyed following you and the Tahiti cruise. Sorry to hear of the wheel problem. Your spot in Flagstaff looks very nice.
    Flagstaff from what I hear is not RV friendly these days so hope you get to some good boondocking sites soon. Love the dragon fly photo. They are pretty cool little creatures. Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness that lady honked at you. You're right, it could have been much worse. You've already toasted one trailer, no need to do it again.

    Keeping our fingers crossed that your new axle arrives quickly and the repair is done fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank the lord that you didn't catch on fire... So thankful for that! How long will it take to get fixed? Loved your photos!!!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Egad! That was a pretty close call. I bet you're glad that lady started honking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad that lady flagged you down. So very sorry about the axle. Glad too you have a beautiful place to stay with winged critters to photograph. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at that thing! I remember always being fascinated with the giant ones when I was a kid. Maybe the giant ones aren't dragonflies?
    If one must be stranded, you are at least in one of the nicer parts of the country. Sorry to hear about the axle though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad about your trailer. Don't forget to go to Black Barts (http://www.blackbartssteakhouse.com/). They even have an RV park. But it's really fun to have dinner there and watch the staff sing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH hope it dont take too long to get your HOME back..that sux...glad it was not as bad as it could have been---
    You're in a beautiful spot for sure great that you can just step outside the door and go for a hike! I really love the route 66 stuff its some of my fav stuff good thing I dont have lots of room for stuff I WOULD get as much as possible!! GREAT dragonfly shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diana, so sorry to hear about your mishap; could have been worse as you say. That's a great dragonfly catch -- you're right they are hard to pin down, but every once in a while, one will cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nasty piece of bad luck, but thank goodness for the kindness of a fellow motorist.
    Your photo of the dragonfly is perfect - he looks like an alien from a B Movie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Burned one out on Monday. Must be that time of year. Luckily, I found mine before it ruined the axle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have heard of that but really didn't realize what could ultimately happen...glad you escaped the worse of it....we will have to get together come winter...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad it was not worse. Good to know there are still people out there willing to go the extra step to help someone.

    That is quite a change from the cruise:(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diana, I use a TPMS from TST to help avoid trailer tire/axle issues:

    http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html

    It provides a realtime dashboard readout of individual trailer tire temperature and pressure. In your recent case you would have seen that one wheel was heating up long before a catastrophic bearing failure. This gadget has taken soooo much anxiety out of towing.

    Lew

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good report, Diana! I'll be sure to check my cargo trailer and have the bearings done before it goes out again - which may not be for a while :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad your trailer didn't catch fire. But that was some pic of the dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow - lucky for you that the lady was letting you know what was happening!

    Love the building that used to be used as a Taxidermists but is now a Honky Tonk...it looks like a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank goodness everything turned out okay, no fires and you are all right. Nice digs for the interim, though. :) The dragonfly photos are incredible. They really are ugly little critters, aren't they, but when they fly by they look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!