Monday, January 3, 2011

How I Celebrated the Holidays on the Road

Well, I probably did the same as everyone else - celebrated with friends and family. On Christmas Eve, my WIN friends and I gathered around 3 campfires. At one point, "Bagpipe Bob" came out to entertain us.


And of course there were lots of goodies.


On Christmas morning, we had a "Chinese Gift Exchange." If you're not familiar with the term, you can read the rules here.


Hmmmm.... There are lots of tall skinny gifts here - I'll bet I can figure out what they are. (They were very popular items!)


Late afternoon, we were all invited to Christmas dinner at the VFW next door. They are so nice to us that I decided to join the VFW this year. (I'm not a veteran, but my father fought in WWII.)


On the day after Christmas, I went to San Diego to see the grandkids. Mara got a Nintendo DSi from Santa and was happy to share it with Jonathan. She's such a nice big sister.


One of the presents I gave the kids was another crocheted Barbie dress for one of Mara's many Barbie dolls.


And they gave me a beautiful coffee table book with their best pictures of the year.



On New Years Eve, we all went over to the VFW where they had a live band and finger food. In this video you can see us line dancing. Nelda (in the front here) has been a friend of mine for over 13 years, and she's one amazing lady. She refuses to let anything, especially not her age, interfere with having a good time.



If you've been following the blog for awhile, you know that I love the "Orange Blossom Special," and have to film it every time it's played. This band "Keepin' It Country" are a husband and wife duo, and one of our favorites in the Yuma area. He told me that he started playing the fiddle when he was 7 and his 4 sisters would not let him do anything with them. This is one of the best versions I've heard - it was even better in person than in the video.



And then - here comes "Bagpipe Bob" again! We all joined in!

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very perfect holiday .... I am with Nelda and think she is great too... Happy New Year Diane!!
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Travel Safely
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly had more fun on the holidays than I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great holiday season you had!!..Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I was worried about how my full time RV friends would spend the holidays - obviously in the best possible way - with family you've chosen. Not to mention all that sun!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a fiddle fan too. I remember going to the Grand Master Fiddle Championships in Nashville as kid. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a lovely Christmas with friends, but no Bagpipe Bob. Instead we had Guitar Jimmy, Bass Aaron, and Singing Lucas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The life you have created for yourself on the road is fabulous! Happy New Year Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED your blog today, especailly the fiddler. That is one of my favorite tunes as well. Also liked the crochet dress. Glad to know someone else who likes to crochet doll clothes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...OOOPS!.. that should be "especially"...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Diana. I love following your blog. Hope to see you in Q.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, just wonderful and thank you. Happy new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Barbie dress sure came out nice!

    Great video of the fiddler, amazing he didn't set it on fire he was playing so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy--what a ho-down you guys had...I would enjoy that so much been a while since I danced a jig--an awesome rendition of the
    "Orange Blossom Special"
    SO good to see your friend out there Walking Stick and ALL!! WTG-

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Diana. See you in Q.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great way to spend the holidays. I think I can guess what is in those tall gift bags, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a very nice time and what a wonderful gift to get from the grandkids. I absolutely love the dress you crocheted for the barbie very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, your New Years Eve was a bit more exciting than ours. We went to a house party and played Pictionary. I guess that's what happens when you buy a house.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!