Monday, May 26, 2008

Silver Dollar City

Silver Dollar City is a huge theme park in Branson. It consists of the usual thrill rides, an 1880s craft village, and different festivals. The Bluegrass & BBQ Festival is going on now. I liked it so much I spent 2 days there.

I really like to ride roller coasters, and went on all four. This multi-looping, cobra-rolling one, called WildFire, was my favorite. That's me trying to get a picture of it. It's a miracle I could still stand.



Powder Keg accelerates from 0 to 53 mph in 2.8 seconds. Hang on and watch the video!

The theme park evolved around Marvel Cave. From the opening here, there is a 500 foot dropoff. Circular steps and ramps allow tourists to get down to the bottom.


Sometimes the head room is a little tight.


There are some beautiful formations in the cave, but the only thing ever mined here was bat guano.




After descending 500 feet below the surface, how do you get back up to daylight? In 1957, cave operators installed a unique cable train designed to take cave visitors back to the surface.


I brake for all rusty stuff, even if I don't know what it is!


These were scattered throughout the park.


Went on a steam train ride through the countryside around the park.


Some zany train robbers tried to rob us, but they weren't very scary because they kept forgetting their lines.


Wow, have I gained some weight?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess we should have gone there. Although I don't do upside down. Love the self portrait.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!