Friday, December 31, 2010

And a Happy New Year!

Every year the WINs spend Christmas and New Years on a tiny piece of BLM land behind the Yuma VFW. This year there are 121 attendees - amazing how we can all squeeze in here.


I found a good spot behind a dirt mound that masks the train noise somewhat.


This guy, not a WIN, pulled in the next day. Nice guy, with lots of solar panels, but -


His bus looks like it's been put together with spray foam!


One day our host, Bob, arranged a tour of the Yuma Proving Grounds. Unfortunately, it fell through, but I got a kick out of this sign - 3 whole days without an accident while going 5 mph?!?!?


Since we didn't get our tour, we spent some time looking at their collection of tanks.


The Sherman tank, "Ol' War Horse," from WWII was my favorite. You could still see the indentations where it had been shot.


Another day we went to Algodones, the tiny Mexican town right across the border where there are lots of inexpensive dentists and pharmacies. This store was something new - a health food store! All of those bags on the floor are different kinds of medicinal teas.


I also found a painting of the Disney princesses. Looks like they could use some dental work, and maybe a shave!


Near the Mexican border, on the US side, is a large pet cemetery where I buried my Molly a year ago. All year I've been meaning to do a better headstone for her. This is the new one, and I left the old one as a footstone. I felt that the old one didn't really look like her.


This one looks much better - I just hope the paint is waterproof, or I'll be doing another one next year!


glitter graphics
,

16 comments:

  1. Looks like we were posting a New Yrs blog at the same time!! I Hope you have a great time celebrating with the WINS I know you will be dancing till midnight!! I had to also lol at the sign 3 accidents--pretty funny but HONEST!!
    Happy New Yr--Look forward to following your 2011 adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done Molly proud with her new headstone.

    I'm looking forward to joining you in Yuma, next year!

    Wishing you and yours many sunny(but not too hot) days, many happy tails, love, laughter, good health and success in all your endeavors, throughout the New Year!
    Cyndi and Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Diana! Your post was fun today with all of the curious things you showed us. I also liked the Sherman.

    John
    http://relaxedrush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture of Molly. I'm glad you got back there to visit her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an interesting gathering you've got there. I just may have to look into WINs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Diana!..we wish you much joy, happiness and good health and safe travels in 2011!!..nice tribute to Molly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post thanks. That was a nice head stone.
    Happy New Year
    Danny

    (Bubbadan)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A happy new year to you to and I look forward to your 2011 adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice new headstone for your friend.

    Happy New Year; looking forward to continuing to follow along with your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to spend the holidays.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I knew all the stores in Algodones...but that health food store was something new. Did you buy anything there? I like Molly's new headstone. Did you paint it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW...I didn't know you were such a good artist. Beautiful work.
    We had a good time in Algodones last year. You are right with the inexpensive part. I got glasses for $90...that was amazing...even for bifocals.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year to you Diana! We've really enjoyed all your travels and wish you many more happy miles (including to VA) in the New Year. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year! I love the new headstone you did for your Molly, that always makes me sad. That is a funny sign about the 3 days since no accidents. And that mans bus goodness what does he have inside that bus that he has to have a pipe like that coming out the side? lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific job on the headstone - obviously you got all the artistic talent in the family. Love the Mexican princesses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year, Diana! I loved this post, so much of interest. I hope to join the WINs when I'm on the road, it looks like you guys have a lot of fun. Beautiful little grave site for your pup, with the rocks and head and foot stones.
    Does the "bus man" have a wood stove in there? I'll bet he is not allowed in most RV parks! Must be a boondocker. So funny!

    dewelldesigns.blogspot.com (Me and My Dog)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!