Sunday, July 28, 2013

Moving on to Glacier National Park


I've left the WINs for a while to revisit one of my very favorite places - the east side of Glacier National Park. I was fortunate to get a reservation for St. Mary Campground inside the park. It used to be easy to park here, but now with the reservation system, it is very difficult and always full.


The views from the campground are great in every direction.


Almost immediately, I saw some wildlife. This fox walked right by my door.


There were all kinds of campers in the campground. I've never seen a jeep like this before.


St. Mary Lake is 10 miles long, but this view of Wild Goose Island is a popular shot. It's even better if there is no wind and you get a reflection of the mountains in the water.


I had never been to the Two Medicine section of the park, so the first day I arranged to go on the boat ride on Two Medicine Lake.


All of the boat rides in the park come with a very interesting park naturalist's commentary.


Some of the departures include a ranger led hike, where you go on a hike and come back on the next boat. I had meant to go to Twin Falls, but unfortunately it started to rain by the time we got there. So I guess now I have an excuse to come back!

9 comments:

  1. Wow , what a spectacular landscape, gorgeous views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the set-up on that Jeep! I don't know if I would feel good about Spud's butt-tent in a place so full of wildlife, and me looking like a sandwich in an open pick-a-nick basket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not fond of the reservation system now in place for NPs, SPs and such. Plus that extra fee they charge for making the reservation is annoying, to say the least.

    However, snagging that great spot in a great NP makes everything worthwhile. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I do hope to go back some day soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly a cool Jeep! And yes that fox was a little different looking. Enjoy Glacier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I def want to return to Glacier, there is SO Much to see there..you got a great spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why this is one of your favorite places ... gorgeous scenery.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!