Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving in the Desert


Every year the WINs have a Thanksgiving feast in the desert just outside Borrego Springs, CA. I've missed the last 2, so it was really nice to be here and see lots of friends I haven't seen in a while. Seventy of my closest friends gathered here for the week.


I even scored a seat under Bill's canopy for Thanksgiving dinner. This has to be the warmest weather we've ever had here, so it was much appreciated.


Mini Me also scored a spot.


We park at the Pegleg Smith monument east of town. Pegleg was a famous horse thief and kidnapper--I'm not sure why he has a monument.


One day we went on a short hike through a slot canyon in Anza Borrego State Park.


It gets a little tight in spots.


We had 2 days of turkey and the side dishes, then one day of various soups made from the turkey leftovers. A great time was had by all!

8 comments:

  1. With all that warmth, you didn't have to worry about any cold turkey, eh?

    You can't blame Pegleg Smith for needing horses to get around, probably wasn't too easy hiking those trails with one leg...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! Glad you had a satisfactory Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to spend Thanksgiving with so many wonderful friends, and nice weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turkey leftovers are the best! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to be able to join all your friends this year. And it's definitely warmer than usual. I love turkey leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were thinking about you all. Great canopy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to know you both had a good holiday! Also glad to see that all the turkey didn't stop my uncle from squeezing through the canyon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure do recognize some familiar faces. My plans to catch up are in flux but heck who knows, I might just bust loose from the asylum. Charles aka FB Starship Condor and Schroeder want to meet a few of ya. Everyone Have a Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!