Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Middle of Nowhere

After our gathering at the Yuma VFW, the WINs moved on to Kurt's gathering in his hometown of Wellton, AZ, just on the other side of the mountain from Yuma. I did not have far to walk to our 4:00 get-together right outside my door.


Kurt led us on a 100-mile trip down through the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range south of town. We went down El Camino del Diablo, the Road of the Devil, to close to the Mexican border. This road had been used since prehistoric times.


The cactus and mountains were just beautiful.


We stopped to look at the Tanks, where rainwater collects in many natural basins - usually! During the California gold rush, hundreds died here when they arrived to find the basins dry.


Some of the graves are still visible.


The only other vehicles we saw on the whole 100 miles belonged to the border patrol.


They drag tires on the roads so they can see the footprints of illegal aliens.


There were some primitive campsites on the road. This is the casita at Tule Well Camp.


Inside, I found this. I don't know very much Spanish, but even I could figure out the translation.


We crossed the line from the Barry Goldwater Range into the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, where the road gets more difficult.


And we went by several of these rescue stations where illegals in danger can summon help. Of course, they'll be sent back home, but at least they won't die.


If you push the button, the border patrol will arrive within one hour. We found out they will arrive even if you don't push the button. There are sensors all over the area that gave away our presence, and as we drove on, a Border Patrol vehicle arrived with lights flashing.


After all that excitement, we needed some dinner, so we stopped at the VFW in Wellton for their weekly Fish Fry. Excellent!

21 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Now thats the type of road that you really need the 4 x 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wagons Hoooo -What a fun outing that must have been--So what was inside the little casita that you had to clean up behind? Such a cute structure! The border partrol seems to be trying to do their job, if only they had been so diligent 15 yrs ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly does feel like you were in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work really hard at not being intimidated by if's and maybe. After living in AZ for 3 years, I don't know if I would have what it takes to be sightseeing in that neck of the woods!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Have the BEST day!
    Cyndi and Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure couldn't have driven that road with my little car! What a great outing...safety in numbers, and all that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great looking trip you had. Appears you had lots of fun too. Good job of explaining what you were seeing. I was particularly interested in the ancient road and the desert tanks.

    John
    relaxedrush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's some dramatic scenery. Hope the fish fry was as good as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you get all the way to the wall? That is an interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great adventure in the outback. Nice to know the Border Patrol folks are out there watching over things, including you!

    Hopefully they weren't too upset over finding you Gringos running around the desert roads having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a day - you weren't worred about banditos? I guess in a group you were as safe as anywhere else. Really interesting. Thanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great 'jeep day'!..thanks for the bandito tour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you didn't encounter any drug smuggling, automatic weapon toting, dangerous individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Intersting. I'm not sure if you all were brave or just crazy to go so close to the border.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's okay, you can admit that there were no sensors and you just couldn't help but push the button :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane, was that a guided tour? or where do you go to get permission to drive through?
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what an adventure that you had there. The pic of the grave gave me goosebumps wow. It is so beautiful there I loved seeing the pictures and that trail did look like it was a rough one to travel. I just noticed your Biltmore Estate icon on the left and I am off to check it out. I have been once and I am in love with the place. I have read so much about the family that lived there. I hope you are having a good week :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your readers have a point - don't do anything like that in the eastern part of Arizona. Too dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You guys are much more adventurous than we are. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice photos! Whew - it shook me up when I saw the title of your post. For a moment, I thought you were going to stop traveling. Don't scare me like that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very Interesting! Good to keep the Border Patrol on their toes! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!