Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Moving Down the Colorado

I've been following quite a bit of the WIN's CUACK circuit (CO, UT, AZ, CA kayaking), which started out in El Jebel, CO, met up with the Colorado River, and eventually ends up in Yuma. I don't have a kayak, and don't really enjoy racing down rivers with the WINs, but finally at our stop at Five Mile Landing near Topock, AZ I found the kind of kayaking I like -- paddling around a marshy lake.


Judy lent me her kayak and I had a great time dodging dead trees and looking for ducks. I really liked the squiggly reflections of the trees.


From Topock, we moved south to Lake Havasu City. We had a real deal arranged at an RV park for only $6 a night, because they weren't very busy this early in the season. We were boondocking, but had use of the facilities, including the swimming pool and hot tub. Time for the WIN Olympics!


Here's Bob with his entry in the cannonball contest.


Lake Havasu City is best known for being the home of the London Bridge. It was purchased from the city of London in 1968 for $2.5 million. It took another $4.5 million to transport and rebuild the bridge. It opened here in 1971.


Each piece had to be numbered so it could be reassembled correctly. If you look closely between the swallows' nests, you can still see the numbers.


Of course, we wanted to go dancing, and we found it at the Golden Horseshoe, practically across the street. Billy Gambler sings 5 nights a week, and he was terrific! What a great voice.


A good time was had by all, as shown in Joey's photo. I left the group after this stop to head to Phoenix for the Nascar race, a new experience for me. More on that later!

3 comments:

  1. Kayaking! Next you'll be 4-wheeling in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's my kind of kayaking! I also don't do rivers...unless I can paddle upstream.

    Enjoy the race!

    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only do rivers when they are slow or great things to see. I always take my camera and usually get some great shots of the views. Patty

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!